In case it’s not completely obvious, strawberries are my absolute favorite fruit. And I happen to also love eating sweet, dessert-like brunch food! This recipe was actually adapted from a foodie Facebook video that a family member of mine had shared. My mother showed it to me and we knew we had to make it the next morning…with our own adjustments of course! It ended up being the perfect meal to start off our Memorial Day Weekend before going hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
10 Slices of Brioche Bread (to make five French Toast “Sandwiches”)
3/4 Cup of Chopped Strawberries (or any fruit you prefer!)
4 Large Eggs
3/4 Cup of Milk
1/2 Tsp of Cinnamon
1 Package of softened Cream Cheese
1/3 Cup of White Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
(Optional) 1 Egg
1/4 Cup of Brown Sugar
3 Tablespoons of White Sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons of Cinnamon
- Heat a large skillet or pan on medium heat.
- To make the French Toast Egg mixture, beat the 4 eggs together, then add the milk and cinnamon and stir until fully blended. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla extract until fully blended. I recommend using an electric beater for this part. Set aside.
- Mix the brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside
- Add butter to the heated pan and dip one side of every piece of French Toast in the egg/milk mixture and place the dipped sides down onto the pan. Let cook for 2-3 minutes until the sides facing down start browning slightly, then take them off the pan and set on a plate.
- After removed from heat onto the plate, spread a coat of the cream cheese mixture onto the cooked sides of every bread slice.
- Next, layer 5 of the 10 slices with strawberries then use the other 5 slices as tops to the open face sandwiches. You will essentially have 5 French Toast sandwiches.
- Butter the pan again.
- Carefully submerge each entire sandwich one at a time into the egg mixture then, coat by dipping them into the sugar mixture before placing immediately onto the hot pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes depending on how well-done you like your French Toast then flip the sandwiches to the other side and do the same until they are cooked to your liking.
- Remove the sandwiches from the heat and top with powdered sugar or syrup or other fruits!